Little souls

I work with some great kids. Many of whom struggle everyday in a world of spiritual attack they know nothing about. And it's heart-breaking. There's the 4 year old girl who is so anxiety-ridden that she talks rapidly incessant when in a stressful situation. She will also avoid being comforted when she is hurt or scared because if she lets her guard down she will disintegrate into a mess of tears. Last year her parents split and now she is caught in the middle of a horrible custody arrangement. One day while I was helping her change her wet clothes she broke down and started wailing that she didn't like her family. Just the other day she told Katie that she didn't love her mommy anymore because she loved her daddy. Somehow in her mind if she loves one she can't love the other.

Then there's a boy so starved for physical affection that he misbehaves just to have human touch. In his home it's probably the only time anyone lays a hand on him. There have been a number of times that he has refused to cooperate until you come over and guide him by the shoulders or take his hand. Then he is more than happy to comply. My spirit shed tears the day when he refused to come pick up something he had dropped in the hallway as we headed back to class. We were having a stand off and I said "Your friends are waiting at the art center. Come pick this up so you can join them." He stood there refusing. Then put his hand out and said "hold my hand"....He wanted me to come and take him by the hand and bring him over to the paper he had dropped. Simply so he could hold a hand. How could I refuse? We walked together to the paper which he gladly picked up and then we walked hand in hand to the classroom where we sat at the art center together and colored. I wanted to just wrap him up in a big old hug and pour out the love of God right from my spirit to his so that he'd never feel alone.

I could tell so many other stories of the precious lives that have impacted mine. I have the privilege of working with these kids...Yet sometimes it can be so hard knowing that I hold in me the key to unlock the shackles that bind them and their families. It's hard because I do not have permission to exercise that at school in a direct way or without parental permission...Even God respects the spiritual authority of a parent. Still, I can pray blessings over them, and ask Jesus to protect their eyes and ears from the evil that they endure daily. Ask him to soften the physical blows that come their way. I can be His hands and feet and His love for them in general ways...And that is something. Human love is wonderful. But the love of God is infinitely deeper and wider. It is eternal. Maybe in years to come a blessing prayed for a lonely, anxious 4 year old will became a life line to Father God, the ever flowing source of abundant life.


Comments

Kelly said…
Reading your post made me remember those few months Jonathan went to kindergarten. I would help out in his room once a week. I know some of these kids I was certain, came from similiar backgrounds as your kids. You can just tell what a childs homelife is like. It broke my heart. Your story breaks my heart. Thank you for your willingness to be there for them, even if is just for an amount of time 5 days a week. Thank you for caring for them, and praying for them and just loving them the way Christ does. We know with God all things are possible, maybe with the light they see in you will lead them to Christ later on. You're doing a great job!
Elaine said…
Oh man. What a difficult environment to work in.
helen:
i love it that God has placed someone like you in a place that needs Him so much! it shows how much you care! many would not even think about doing this! i'm proud of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Relationship vs. evidence

Alan Alda's seven quick questions

Why Good People Stay