Alan Alda's seven quick questions

I enjoy listening to Alan Alda's podcast 'Clear and Vivid'. At the end of every episode he asks his guest seven quick questions. Here are my answers: 1. What do you wish you really understood? Why the universe was created in such a way that violent death or death, in general, was required for the sustenance of its living creatures. The food chain - I'm not a fan.... 2. How do you tell someone they got their facts wrong? Generally, if I am having an actual discussion with someone (that is usually not in a FB comment thread) I will ask questions about sources where the person got their information in case I missed something or to decide if the sources are quality. I will present what I understand to be true and why. 3. What is the strangest question anyone has ever asked you? It was more stupid/rude than strange, but someone once asked me why I was here if I didn't want to have children...As if the sole purpose of my existence is to breed. 4. How do you stop a compulsive talker? Um, so that's usually me...So I try to tell myself to wrap things up and give someone else a chance - especially if it's a subject of special interest for me. :) 5. How do you start up a genuine conversation with someone you've never met? I tend to just dive into things with people...Usually through humor or a common interest that I recognize. I'm not really good at small talk. 6. What gives you confidence? Support and encouragement from people I respect and love. 7. What book changed your life? There is more than one but off-hand, The Shack (Wm. Paul Young), Velvet Elvis (Rob Bell), and A Generous Orthodoxy (Brian McLaren). Those three gave me 'permission' to embrace questions about the faith I was handed or to ask even deeper questions. Now I am finding more...Such as 'Bohemian Magick', 'Psychic Witch', and 'Scottish Witchcraft'.


1 Comment
Like
Comment
Share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationship vs. evidence

10 Things I've Learned about navigating information overload